Saturday, May 30, 2009

A WEE Note on BOND!!!

Yes, as an active cruiser myself, I am also highly aware of, sensitive to, and confused by this BOND.
I have many questions, and people asking me for verification as to what this BOND means for US to sail in Indonesia. Many people also wish for exemption from this bond....but I cannot provide this, as it is actually customs which is enforcing this BOND.
On top of all that, it has been linguring in several ports for years, and seems to be twisted into meaning what ever the local Customs officials wish it to.
I will say that my contacts in Jakarta are attending meetings, and hoping for a positive result within the next two months, ie a flag of exemption to fly for those of us who already have our CAITS. It looks as though, this too, will incur a fee!!
Im with you...havnt we paid enough already?
Im sorry to inform you that BALI is now asking for a fee of further Sponsor to cover this bond (which is a law that is not even supposed to relate to cruising vessels!)

OFF the record........
*40 boats of mine have cleared into Indonesia this year WITH NO MENTION OF THE BOND. I had instructed boats to stay clear of KUPANG, and now unfortunately, advising not to clear in in BALI!!!
* We have sailed in Indonesia for the past 4 years, and have not been asked once for this bond.
* My contacts in Jakarta are doing all they can to clarify this bond, as am I, as Indonesia is such a beautiful country, and it is such a shame to see localised corruption affecting the experience of sailing there. Please, if you wish to send a letter to me, addressed to Customs Official, Indonesia, please do so, and I will continue to forward them on. My aim is not just to get clearance from this BOND, but to assist to abolish it!

WHAT IF YOU GET ASKED FOR THIS BOND: As far as I know, no one has paid for this Bond, and my advise is NOT to part with any money or passports. If the officials get a bit heavy, tell them you have PAID your CAIT, your VISA and you have been SPONSORED to be there by a LOCAL (if you have a Sponsor letter) You DO NOT want to IMPORT the boat, and your CAIT is PROOF of your ENTRY and EXIT to Indonesia. If they continue to make a problem, leave the port, and clear in at the next one.
Please let me know where you have both positive and negative experiences. My aim to to PRAIS the ports who make it easy so they will continue to do so, and therefore attract most of the custom.
So much for a wee note...but its hard to clarify something that isnt entirely clear.
Please have patience....it looks as though nothing is moving quickly.
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel I found your blog on the internet. I am looking at importing a boat into indonesia and was wondering if you could shed any light on this? Is it different if it is a pleasure or work boat? You sound like you have had many experiences there.
    Thanks Reade

    ReplyDelete